Board of Directors
The Board of Directors conducted a Strategic Planning Retreat in August 2010 to draft a 5-Year Vision. They were armed with the 2010 SDDA Stakeholders Survey Results, a 5-Year Vision Wish List compiled by the four committees and SDDA Board Retreat Strategic Plan Notes. The retreat was facilitated by Virginia Main Street Program Administrator Doug Jackson.
- Read the completed 5-Year Vision based on this statement: Downtown Staunton will be a real community and lively cultural hub connecting customers, entrepreneurs, residents, and visitors.
- The Board also completes a short-range work plan each year. Here is the 2016-2017 Proposed Work Plan.
SDDA 20-Year Anniversary
- To commemorate the 20-year Anniversary in 2016, the SDDA created a roster programming designed to connect and reconnect the region and Downtown. The programming called Community Connections was funded in-part by a $25,000 Downtown Improvement Grant received from Virginia Main Street and included the following:
- Staunton Stories was held on March 19, 2016, where we asked the community to bring and share their stories and memorabilia about their amazing Staunton Life. The stories were recorded digitally and on film and the memorabilia was photographed. The images and information can be viewed here.
- The SDDA 20-Year exhibit opening and Staunton Stories site were launched on June 17 at The Artisan Loft.
- The grant also funded the Downtown Discount Card customer loyalty program, which was launched in March 2016. The program rewards loyal cardholders through discounts at participating Downtown businesses in exchange for contact information. Cardholders are automatically registered to receive the Thursday Downtown Lowdown, thereby expanding our awareness efforts.
- Additional the funding allowed the SDDA to conduct a Consumer Survey in October 2016.
- After a year of focus group and individual interviews, the SDDA hired Arnette Muldrow of Greenville, SC to design and distribute a Community Survey. We distributed the survey link via email through organizational support from the Greater Augusta Regional Chamber of Commerce, Mary Baldwin University, the Staunton-Augusta YMCA, the Staunton Creative Community Fund and the United Way of Greater Augusta. Each partner was willing to share our postcard Image and links in their e-news at least twice between October 1 – 31.
- We were able to reach about 38,000 e-addresses and received 871 responses during the 30-day time period.
The Staunton Online Survey Results will guide the SDDA work planning for the new five years. The SDDA Board will be meeting in early 2017 to craft and updated vision statement and strategic plan.
- The 2017 Partner Brochure provides descriptions of all the types of partnerships and how to join.
- Organizational structure and procedures are contained in the Articles of Incorporation and November 2016 By-Laws.
- View the current City Contract and the 2016-2017 Budget.
- Check out last year’s 2015 – 2016 Annual Report.
- Properties in the SDDA district are shown in this map of the Downtown Service District.
- Streetscape Plan for the City of Staunton: Table of Contents, Intro, Entryways, Alleyways, City Streets, Appendices, Maps.
- Keep track of SDDA events on our Google Calendar!
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for all the latest news and updates.
- Sign up to receive our Downtown Lowdown weekly email!
- Sign up for the SDDA’s Downtown Discount Card and get all the details on the Downtown Staunton Gift Card program!
- Find resources for opening and running a successful business in our downtown on the Open a Business section!