Ongoing Fall Opportunities
There are a few opportunities to safely interact with downtown businesses throughout the fall. Below is a list of SDDA-promoted happenings that are available throughout the fall.
- Selfie Stations – The SDDA is working with SAW Habitat for Humanity and the Staunton Augusta Art Center to bring selfie stations to different locations throughout downtown. These spots will allow the community to snap a photo as they celebrate fall. Exact placement and timing of these will be announced soon. These stations will be offered through Thanksgiving.
Halloween Week: 10/25 - 10/31
This year, the SDDA will be promoting week-long specials and small events in lieu of a one-time mass gathering, such as a traditional downtown trick-or-treat. Here are the events we have scheduled throughout the week, October 25 – October 31:
- Pumpkin Scavenger Hunt – Participating downtown businesses will be hiding pumpkins in their store windows. Individuals will have the opportunity to count the number of pumpkins they see and submit their guess to win a prize. For more information, click here.
- Themed, Strolling Characters – Medieval Fantasies Company will be coordinating costumed individuals that will stroll around downtown on Friday, October 30th from 12-6pm and Saturday, October 31st from 12-5pm. All characters will be family friendly.
- Online Costume Contest – The City of Staunton’s Parks and Recreation Department will be offering an online costume contest. For more information, please click here.
Downtown Fall Specials
Specials coming soon!
- Ali&Co will be offering Make and Take Bath Potions for $3.95.
- Co Art Gallery will have decorated pumpkins in their windows.
- Medieval Fantasies Company will be offering Witches Three Afternoon Gyfte Sets and Halloween Themed Bath and Body Products.
- The Well Balanced Paw will have Halloween Dog cookies and treats for the month of October. Additionally, they will have special throughout Halloween week, including limited time pumpkin smoothies, an online pet costume contest, and a pet photo spot October 30 and 31st.
This year, the SDDA willing be sponsoring holiday-themed events spread throughout November and December. Since there will be no Sparkles and Sweets or Christmas Parade through downtown this year, the SDDA is working with the City and other stakeholders to offer alternate events and offerings. Below is a list of what we have planned thus far.
- Veterans Day (Nov. 11th) – The Rotary Club of Staunton has decided to step away from the Veterans Day Parade this year due to safety concerns. The SDDA will be promoting any Veterans-related happenings or sales occurring downtown. We will also be highlighting our Veteran-owned businesses.
- Small Business Saturday (Nov. 28th) – Small Business Saturday will take place on Saturday, November 28th this year. The SDDA is awaiting additional information from American Express and will update our plans accordingly.
- Celebration of Holiday Lights – The team at the Celebration of Holiday lights will be providing an interactive drive through Gypsy Hill Park that will incorporate staged lights and live performances. The displays will be live from the Monday before Thanksgiving through the end of December, each evening from 5:00 – 11:00. For more information, please visit their website: https://celebrationoflights.org/.
- Santa’s Workshop + Living Windows – The SDDA will be staging and promoting “living windows” where actors will portray a scene from Santa’s workshop in empty windows on Beverley Street. Live actors are scheduled to be in the windows on Dec. 5, 12 and 19 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Winter Market – The Staunton Farmers Market will be offering an outdoor winter’s market on Saturdays in December leading up to Christmas. This will also be held on December 5, 12 and 19 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. More information including a list of vendors will be available shortly.
- Downtown Specials – Many shops, restaurants and service-based businesses are offering holiday promotions and specials. As we learn about these offerings, we will add them to the calendar.